Friday 13 July 2012

Imperial Treasure

My Mum and I had dimsum lunch the other day in Imperial Treasure Teochew Cuisine at Takashimaya. It used to be one of our favorite restaurants. However, on this visit, we were utterly disappointed with the food. Although service was considered good, I no longer rate it as one of my favorite restaurants.

The dimsum here used to be so tasty. I wonder if they changed chefs?

Nevertheless, their custard "liu sha bao" is still one of the best I've tasted and I will introduce it in my post.

First up...this deep fried dumpling "jiao zi" tasted as oily as it looked. There was too much fried dumpling skin which was totally unnecessary. I didn't even want to eat the skin. It was terrible. The prawn inside was small and not worth mentioning.


Does it even look tempting to you? I don't know what the chefs were thinking.

Next up was "char siew chee cheong fun" which was good. I liked it and it had much "char siew" inside. The sauce was also good.


The pan fried carrot cake was lousy. All I can recall is it tasted very oily.


Chicken claw...gross! No way will I ever eat it. My mum ordered this dish, so I've no comments.


Their "siew mai" was very oily and horrible. I don't recall tasting any prawn inside, but I could be wrong. Nonetheless, it was a far cry from yummy "siew mai" you can find in Hong Kong where the prawn inside is big and succulent.


This dish used to be one of my favorites here, but it no longer is. See that greasy paper the food was served on? Such a turn-off. Luckily, they didn't taste as bad as they looked. I tried the yellow one which was custard. My mum tried the black one which was red bean paste aka "dou sa". Although they didn't taste too bad, we both agreed that they used to taste so much better.


Fortunately, the custard ban aka "liu sha bao" was still of great standards. I loved it. Its bun was soft and the flowy custard melted in our mouths. The custard tasted salty and sweet at the same time and had a buttery and salted egg taste.


I don't know if it was a one-off incident where they cooked terribly that day or whether they changed chefs. However, based on this visit alone, I will rate the restaurant 2.5/5. If you do pay the restaurant a visit, do try the custard ban "liu sha bao" and "char siew chee cheong fun".

Imperial Treasure can be found at: 391 Orchard Road, #04-20A Ngee Ann City, Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment